Monday, May 19, 2014

"Exit Through the Gift Shop" Response


Perhaps I was being too cynical about "Exit Through the Gift Shop" because I read the three questions (which elements are believable? not believable? What is the morale/purpose of this fictional documentary) before I watched the video, and I was bound to look out for any discrepancies. I believe the producer did an excellent job in the beginning by forming Thierry's character for the audience. Somewhat awkward, very passionate amateur artist who discovers his true passion following and recording street artists' world. However, as the documentary proceeded, I got more confused and disinterested because the portrayal of drastic changes in Thierry's life happened too suddenly. 

Which elements are believable?
"Proofs" provided by Thierry (his footages which really does look like he followed behind street artists despite the danger)
Portrayal of the street art underworld
Introduction (Thierry's life style before undergoing change)
Interviews with Thierry's wife in the beginning and the people visiting Thierry's exhibition

Which elements are not believable?
Banksky (he was in black hoodies, not allowing the audience to see his true identity)
Manipulated voices
Thierry's sudden disposal of the thrift shop
Location of the thrift shop

What is the morale / purpose of this fictional documentary?
I believe the moral of "Exit Through the Gift Shop" was artist professionalism. I was intrigued by Thierry's passion of leaving everything in footage in the beginning, but as the story proceeded, I found absurdity in Thierry's way of exhibiting too many art pieces and using art not as a means to go beyond his power as an individual, but just as a means to earn money.

No comments:

Post a Comment